1.27.2012

Scavenger Hunt: Lincoln Center

Okay, every time I see "Lincoln Center", I say it in my head in either Heidi Klum's voice or Tim Gunn's.  Yes, I think that means that I've seen one too many episodes of Project Runway.  Anyway, when I lived in NYC in summer of 2009, I walked past the construction site of the new and improved Lincoln Center (it was originally started after much lobbying by Robert Moses in 1959). (Ch. 162)  Around the time that the Lincoln Center was first being thought about, West Side Story debuted in 1957 about the Puerto Rican immigrants who were moving in large numbers to the West 60s known as "San Juan Hill". (Ch. 162)  Side note: What's crazy to me is that the 60s were considered way out there and a bad and "shabby" neighborhood and now, there are in the "safe zone".  As in, I would walk alone late at night there.  Apparently, despite the upper middle class folk moving up there in the 1910s, the Great Depression changed that.

A mere 4 years after West Side Story debuted on Broadway, when the movie came out, the entire area had been cleared out in anticipation of a rehabilitation project. (Ch. 162) Like I mentioned above, President Eisenhower broke ground in 1959.  The project displaced 7,000 people and did succeed in revitalizing the neighborhood.  It's now the largest performing arts venue in the country. (Ch. 162)
View from the front.  The architect added a cool function - on each of the rises of steps is the schedule of performances.

So, I got to see Fashion Week from the outside.  I looked for famous people but I didn't see any.  That being said, I probably wouldn't recognize them anyway...

This dude's shoes are something.

She was being photographed... maybe famous?

No comments:

Post a Comment