1.09.2009

In Sickness and in Health . . .

Erik is taking the whole "in sickness and in health" vow to a whole new level. Just 3 months ago he had major shoulder surgery resulting in me having to bathe and dress him, cut his food, and chauffeur him to and from work. Now, I love him, but I'm not sure I'm cut out for the whole nurse-thing. I think Erik would agree. But he was patient with me as a fumbled my way through either freezing him or scalding him in the bath or putting the dressings on crooked and shoddy. I think we both were relieved when he got the clearance to start driving himself again.



This morning he got his wisdom teeth out. He has been meaning to do it for some time and at his last dentist appointment, the dentist basically required him to do so—punishing him with check-ups every 3 months until he did. So far he has been a rebellious patient first wanting to go to work (I veto-ed) and then wanting to go to the supplement store (I acquiesced). Now he is playing "Call of Duty" and avoiding solid foods. My only hope is that he isn't going to be in too much pain.



This is not to say that he has not done his fair share of taking care of me. About 6 years ago, I got my wisdom teeth out and from his stories about the experience—I was in much worse shape than he is now. Since I went completely under, I was really out of it after the surgery. I also had a really bad reaction to the painkillers which resulted in my vomiting a lot and not being coherent enough to change my own gauze. So Erik lovingly changed my pukey gauze and took very good care of me for the duration. I think that I owed the last 2 surgery recoups to him for doing that. :)



That's what love's all about, isn't it? <3 class="story_title">
Kaysi Benefield wrote at 11:38am
I think when it gets to the part in your vows about "in sickness and health" you need to say "done."
Wall-to-Wall - Write on Kaysi's Wall



(This was on Facebook)

No comments:

Post a Comment