5.27.2011

“Well, You Weren’t Stuck Here All Night Then.”

That’s what my partner said when I answered his question the morning after my deal signed.  Here’s how the rather awkward conversation by the coffee machine went:

P: I saw your deal signed late last night.  Congrats!  Were you stuck here all night?
Me: Well, I got about 2 hours of sleep.
P: Hmm... Well, that’s not all night then!
Me: I didn’t say that it was...  I ended up sleeping from 3:45am to 5:30am.
P: Did you go home?
Me: Yeah, just thought it would be better that way especially since I live so close.  If anything happened, I could just run back here.
P: Well, then that’s definitely not that bad.  The last time that happened to me, since I live far away from the office, I just slept here.  Fortunately, I have a couch...
Me: Yeah, I didn’t think it was that bad.  Someone was telling me to invest in a yoga mat to sleep on, but since I live so close, that seems silly.
P: Oh, I have some things to say about people who suggest that but I won’t get into that now...

Um, where the fuck am I working where sleeping from THREE FORTY-FIVE AM TO FIVE THIRTY AM is “not that bad”?!!?  And where advice from a more senior associate is to buy a YOGA MAT to sleep on?!?  Really?  And the scary thing, I’m beginning to think like that.  I seriously went into work every day last week telling myself that I may not be going home that night and then when I went home around 2:30am, I was actually happy about that.  And I still felt a little guilty leaving every day earlier than normal even though I didn’t have work.  I mean, I did NOT feel guilty on Wednesday after not really sleeping the night before, but Thursday and Friday -- those were more gray.

Of course, today, Friday, information was publicly announced regarding yet another deal I was on that had supposedly died an untimely death about 2 months ago.  Well, looks like it’s back on.  I spent most of today worrying about whether I would be able to even make it back to Boston to see Erik.  But the phone call never came.  So I left work early and hopped on an early (6pm) train to Boston.  And here I am, catching up on blogposts (boring ones with no pictures, I know).  I’m not completely convinced that my weekend will be quiet and I actually really do want to work on this deal since I do some general corporate stuff for the company, but I also want to see my husband -- having not seen him since May 1.

Note: This post was written on May 20. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment