3.27.2010

Day 1: First Day in Paradise

 My first day in Cayman started with a sunrise run on the beach.  My good friend (and study buddy from the very beginning of law school) Brandon joined me in braving the extreme humidity.  It was surprisingly hot at 6:45am.  
 Stretching is very important!

 
Coffee is more important.

After our run, we joined other members of the group for breakfast poolside.  Rough life, huh?  It was a relaxing morning mostly because one of our speakers was unable to come and so we started an hour later than usual.

The first day speakers lectured on captive insurance, the Cayman Constitution, regulatory policy and the future of the Cayman Islands.  The overarching theme was that Cayman is NOT a tax shelter, people don’t come here for tax evasion and the movie The Firm has completely ticked off everyone in the Cayman financial industry.  In fact, we had an entire lecture about the implications of such pervasive mischaracterizations.  Other common turns of phrase were: “If the U.S. sneezes, Cayman gets a cold”; “your president”; “tax neutral”; and “British overseas territory.”  Classes have been pretty interesting, which makes being stuck inside during Spring Break in the Cayman Islands a little more palatable. 

The weather was a little rainy so we hit up some shops in Camana Bay and Georgetown.  The shops were okay.  Okay meaning that they consisted of very high-end clothing stores, liquor stores, cigar shops, or jewelry stores.  None of these things interest me.  Well, actually, the jewelry stores did, but I’m a girl and I like diamonds . . .  I found a pair of fabulous diamond earrings that match my e-ring that had a bargain price of $1300 . . .  I walked away obviously but continued to obsess about how sparkly and beautiful they were for at least 2 days afterward.  This is especially because I found a similar pair at another shop for $956 (an even better deal!).  Come to find out after talking to my friend, whose sister is into these things, that I can find the same earrings online and onshore for ≈ $500.  So... glad I didn’t get trigger happy!

While out and about, we did see some cool things like a fish market and some good views.  Here are some of the photos:




Just a note about my school trip: My class hardly has any women in it at all.  So, a lot of my photos are me with my guy friends.  I’ve been dubbed the “little sister” of these guys.  It’s made me very happy I’m married because I’ve been reminded about what actually goes through guys’ heads.  Just imagine what you think guys are thinking on the beach and then multiply that by 100.  That’s been week so far and I’ve been “lucky” to be privy to this secret guy-brain.

We went to this restaurant called The Wharf where you can feed the fish that come up to the dock.  Here's Ben with fish guts and a glass of wine (high class all the way):



No comments:

Post a Comment