So, last week Erik was out of town. He was in Arizona where the average temperature was about FIFTY degrees higher than here. No, I wasn't jealous about his trip at all.... nor was I jealous about him being at a resort... and getting to see his friend who lives down there....
Anyway, as for me, I got to be a "single lady" for 8 whole days! Most of this included me forgetting (seriously, forgetting not "forgetting") to wear my wedding rings and then feeling guilty about it later. This semester, I don't have much going on in the way of class work so I have a lot of "free" time on my hands. So while E was gone, I decided to spring clean and vacuum underneath all of the furniture. This is what our living room looked like:
I sent it to E via text message (ignore the bad photo - took it on my iPhone). He would have been concerned if he 1) didn't know me or 2) wasn't out having fun with his friend! This was my hot Saturday night. I suppose I could have called some friends over or found something more fun to do, but really, I wouldn't have another opportunity to clean like this while E was at home. He would him-and-haw about it and well, I find these sorts of things cathartic so it worked well for me.
After alphabetizing our DVD collection, I realized an important thing about myself. I need to have a job that's more than 40 hours a week. I had flashbacks to living in Nashville where I *gasp* started ironing my sheets! It was at that point I applied to law school (and got my ulcer). I can never find a happy medium, eh? Good thing I'm going to be an attorney in NYC... I doubt I'll have the same complaints.
It was nice to get these things done though - the DVD alphabetizing and vacuuming under furniture. I mean, I hadn't done this since we moved in (yuck!) and let's just say it was necessary. Two cats in an apartment can do a lot of damage... Needless to say, I will never wait 21 months ever again to do this! I get the heeby-jeebies just thinking about it. I did our bedroom tonight and found some unpleasant surprises under the bed! Damn pukey cats...
Anyway, I also exercised the other side of my brain by making this cool photo (and sending it to E):
I got really cheesy and told him that it not only signifies my love for him but our mutual love of wine... I know - gag! At any rate, I'm very proud of my photography skills. This isn't as nice of photos as these, but I'll take it.
Needless to say, when Erik got home Monday, I was super excited. One of my new goals is to be less tit-for-tat about our relationship. He has a really busy 4 weeks coming up (he's about to get scooped with some of his research) so I'm going to try to just give give give and see where it puts us. It's not something that's easy for me. I thought a lot about how our relationship is and about me in our relationship while Erik was gone. These are our last 7 months together before we'll be living long distance and so I really want to make them count. I'll write more on this social experiment later. But, speak of the devil — he's home now, so... time to hang out with my hubby!

ahh i love how nuts you are. seriously i do.
ReplyDeletebut then again you're the girl who'd dustbuster my rug in the dorms in order to avoid studying for finals.
i know what you mean about giving though. champ's in that bucket right now because so much of my time is at work and even sometimes it leaks into home. or i'm home and i can only veg out. ugh.