8.07.2011

Scavenger Hunt: Washington Square & the Washington Arch

NOTE: It's not your imagination.  I already posted about this, oh, 3.5 months ago.  HOWEVER, I forgot to make note of it in my book (whoops!!).  I just spent the last hour+ writing this up and goshdarnit, I'm going to post it even though it's super redundant and even though I actually like the original post a wee bit better.  Sigh.  Note to self: Double check blog just in case.

 ----

Even before I started reading my NY guide and actually trying to give a good tour of NYC, Washington Square and the Washington Arch were on the tour agenda.  I'm proud to say that I've now taken all 3 sets of visitors to these sights.  (Whether I could share the history behind them is another story but at least they saw them, right?!)

Washington Square was initially built in 1826 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence (and to raise property values in Greenwich Village).  (Ch. 35) It was originally proposed as Washington Memorial Parade Ground to be a culmination of a Independence Day celebration on July 4, 1826. (Ch. 35)  Mayor Hone chose uncontroversial land to build the park, which was partly on land the city already owned (a defunct potter's field).  Yes, that's right.  Washington Square is built upon thousands of those who either died of epidemic diseases, were too poor to afford a church burial or were hanged for their crimes!  The bodies were never disinterred. (Ch. 35)  At any rate, it's now host to a lovely fountain and wonderful public artists.

Also part of the park is a distinctive arch that may remind you of a similar arch in Paris.  If it did, you were absolutely right!  The Washington Memorial Arch was directly modeled on the Arc de Triomphe in Paris (albeit scaled down).  (Ch. 102)  It was originally built in plaster by Stanford White to commemorate the centennial of Washington's inauguration, which was celebrated in 1889.  However, it was so popular that fundraising immediately began for a permanent one.  (Ch. 102)  Sadly, White never saw the Arch finished because he met an untimely end over a lover (that post is forthcoming).  Originally, 5th Avenue traffic actually drove through the Arch.  This ended in 1959 when it was obvious it was causing the Arch to deteriorate.  (Ch. 102).

Arch plus my MiL
You can kind of see "The Row" of brick townhomes in the picture (above) of the Washington Arch. These are part of "Sailors' Snug Harbor", a pet project of Mayor Hone.  (Ch. 39)  A wealthy ship captain, left money in a foundation when he died to house "aged, decrepit, and worn out sailors".  (Ch. 39).  The foundation owned the land to the north of Washington Square, and Mayor Hone, who was on the board of the foundation, suggested that the foundation lease the lots at 1-13 Washington Square Park North for a premium (thanks to the new park) in 1831 and build the retirement home in the country.  (Ch. 39) The single-family homes built on the Row became the place to live and to say that one lived on "The Row" was all one needed socially.  (Ch. 39)
The Row

No comments:

Post a Comment