6.27.2011

Scavenger Hunt: Grant's Tomb

This adventure was more fun because I had a friend along with me!  Yes, I have found someone who also thinks that treating my book as a scavenger hunt guide is a great idea.  And I'm so happy to share.  Well, on this particular trip we went to upper Manhattan.  We met for brunch at French Roast.  Then we walked 40 block north in Riverside Park, which began being constructed in 1880. (Ch. 73).  While I summered in NY in 2009, I enjoyed running in Riverside Park because it was much closer to my apartment than Central Park.

At the top of the park up by 122nd Street, is Grant's Tomb, which was officially opened in 1897.  (Ch. 106).  One thing I found really interesting (and a little surprising actually) is that New York won out over other cities vying for the honor of having Grant buried in their city.  New York won out over Galena, Illinois and St. Louis, Missouri.  Apparently, in the early 20th century, more people went to Grant's Tomb than the Statue of Liberty.  (Ch. 106).

The motto between the 2 women is "Let us have peace."  Amen, to that.
If only I could calculate roman numerals quickly!
Grant and his wife Julia were laid to rest side by side in red granite coffins. 
Busts of Grant's best generals surround them in the room.
This is actually a mosaic.  The colors were very vibrant and the detailing was magnificent.  This is when Robert E. Lee surrendered to Grant.  The gentleman who was on duty at the tomb told us all about all the mosaics in the mausoleum.  He kind of went on and on about them actually.  He must have been lonely.

We also went to Rockefeller's Riverside Church and the Cloisters/Fort Tryon Park, but I'll save those for other posts. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment